Thursday, June 18, 2009

US Open's Frozen Leaderboard

I was so eager to watch the US Open today that I even contemplated on not going to my office.  I was able to watch a good half-hour coverage on The Golf Channel before I left my house this morning.  I drove straight to Starbucks for my much needed coffee, sat down for a few minutes outside, grabbed my phone for live streaming before heading to the office... that was when I found out that the US Open at Bethpage Black was suspended due to heavy rain.  For the next few hours after that, I was religiously checking online and all I saw was a frozen leaderboard.  I eventually learned that the tournament got postponed and will resume tomorrow.  

I hit the range with the boys later this afternoon, had dinner and then watched a movie (The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3).  By the time I got home, that was when I saw photos of what happened to the Black Course after a gruesome inch of rain.  It looked worse than what I expected it to be especially when I saw photos of volunteers using giant squeegees on the green. I've read that it will rain as much as today for the rest of the week.  Without the weather's cooperation, who knows how long this tournament will last?

My thoughts:
*After a double bogey on the 5th, Tiger redeemed himself and got a birdie on the 6th, leaving him at +1 when the tournament was suspended.  Padraig Harrington didn't play well today and is 4 over after the 6th while Angel Cabrera is at even par.  Will Padraig be able to come back from this 4 stroke deficit?  I hope so!
*New York's darling, Phil Mickelson, will be teeing up tomorrow for his first round.  If the weather cooperates with him, and with a huge gallery of supporting and adoring fans, I am sure Lefty will give us something spectacular.
*It is likely that the 2009 US Open will punch through next week due to inclement weather conditions.  I am already thinking of creative ways to be able to stay home and watch the whole broadcast of the last round.  Of course, the amount of effort I will exert to come up with this "creative idea" will depend on who will end up on the top spots after the 54th hole. *evil grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment