Sunday, July 19, 2009

Tom Watson and Stewart Cink Heads for Playoff at the 2009 Open Championship

Before this week started, if anyone said that they think 59-year-old Tom Watson will win the British Open in Turnberry, people would think that person is crazy. The last major he won was over 2 decades ago. There is no way he can win it with the likes of Tiger Woods and other young players in the field. I have been watching the Open Championship closely that past 4 days and after all my "favorite" players missed the cut and dropped like flies, I begin to root for and believe that he could actually make it. Watching him, I can't help but notice his very calm demeanor. A proof of maturity and tremendous experience. He always had a smile on his face which reminds me of a cute little sharpei pup. Tom was leading by 1 stroke entering the 18th. All he needed was a par to win as Lee Watson crumbled with a 3-putt on the same hole. I think nerves took the best of Mr. Watson as he putt for par on the 18th... it was a foot short. This bogey-putt gave Stewart Cink a chance to lift the Claret jug this year as they head for a 4-hole playoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment